Hello Friends!! How is the weather treating you all?? It’s getting cold & cold here, and my hubby and kiddo got sick. 🙁 I have been tending to them since the last few days. My sweet and caring neighbour Zahera brought lots of home cooked food for us. Thank you Zahera!
Today’s post is dedicated to all women who rack their brains deciding on chapathi side dishes for lunch or dinner. My husband loves to take chapathis for lunch. So planning chapathi side-dishes for his lunch is a big head-ache for me. I mostly make dal, chickpea curry etc or whatever is easier for me. A few of YOY readers have been requesting variety vegetarian side-dishes for chapathis. So this week I have decided to post a few side-dishes for chapathis that are easy to make and are yummy too. Hope you like them all.
In this Achaari Aloo gobi recipe, a blend of five flavorful whole pickling spices are used to get the achari flavour. Enjoy this simple but flavorful dish and enjoy with curd and rice or chapathis.
Achaari Aloo Gobi
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Potato – 1 medium, cubed or cut into thick slices
2. Cauliflower – 1 small, cut into large florets
3. Oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Kalonji /onion seeds- 1/4 tsp
5. Onion – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp heaped
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
7. Tomato – 1 medium-small, thinly sliced
8. Kasoori methi – 1/4 tsp
Coarse ground pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
9. Ghee – 1/2 tsp
10. Salt – To taste
11. Cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
1. Boil / steam cook the cauliflower and potato pieces for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander.
2. Heat 1 – 1.5 tbsp oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds and then fry cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and kalonji. Fry for a few seconds and then add finely chopped onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until onion turns lightly browned. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Saute for a minute until their raw smell leaves. Add sliced tomatoes, cauliflower and potato pieces. Mix well. Add 1/2 cup hot water. Cover and cook for 5 – 6 minutes until the vegetables are done. Add kasoori methi, black pepper powder and 1/2 tsp ghee. Mix well. Switch off. Sprinkle cilantro. Keep covered for 10 minutes. Serve with chapathis/ rice.