Ingredients (Serves 6 – 7)
1. Potato – 1 medium-large, cut into small cubes
Carrot – 1 medium-large, cut into small cubes
Cauliflower – 2 cups, cut into small florets
Green beans – 1/2 cup, cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch pieces
Fresh green peas – 1/4 cup
2. Oil – 1.5 tbsp
3. Whole spices – Cardamom – 3, Cloves – 4, Cinnamon stick – 3/4 inch, bay leaf – 1
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
4. Onion – 1/2 – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 3/4 tsp, finely chopped
Green chilies – 3 – 4, slit
5. Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Salt – To taste
7. Ghee – 1.5 tbsp (optional)
8. Cilantro and mint leaves, chopped – 2 tbsp
9. Grated coconut – 1 cup
Cashews – 3 tbsp, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp, soaked for 10 minutes
Fennel seeds – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Water – As required to grind
1. Grind the grated coconut along with the remaining ingredients numbered 9 to a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Boil or steam the vegetables numbered 1(except fresh green peas) for 4 minutes. Switch off.
3. Heat 1.5 oil in a kadai or any heavy-bottomed pan at medium-high heat. Splutter cumin seeds and stir the whole spices numbered 3 until fragrant. Add onion, little salt, ginger and green chilies. Saute until onion starts to change color. Add the ground coconut paste. Saute for a minute. Add around 1 cup of hot water, salt to taste and cook for a few minutes. Add the steamed vegetables and fresh green peas. Mix well and cook covered for 4 – 5 minutes. Add garam masala powder, chopped cilantro and mint leaves. Mix well. Taste-check for salt. Switch off.
4. In a small pan, heat 1 – 1.5 tbsp ghee until it reaches its smoking point. Pour on top of the kurma. Mix well. Serve after 15 minutes. It goes well with appam, idiyappam and chapathis.
I have been following all your recipes and its great!you have actually inspired me to cook and made me realise that cooking is not a chore and that it can be fun too…keep it up…
Hi maya once again
After a long back time, I replying you. Every day, I am watching and learning and trying your all recipes. Thanx alotttttt ….this one , veg kuruma also will be going to try in my kitchen.u r awesome maya, u r a genius in cooking. I am speechless , when I start thinking about you. I am selecting each and every day any of your recipes from your recipes index. Thanx again maya. God always bless you, and your family.