Keema Aloo (Minced Meat with Potatoes)
I have been cooking a lot for the past few weeks. Cooking and clicking happened almost simultaneously but my typing suffered and so no blog updates last week! Wish I could be a superwoman 🙂 Anyways, I have decided to enrich the blog with a bunch of new recipes in the coming days before I get busy with other stuff again.
Today’s recipe is dedicated to my lovely neighbour Zahera Ummat who happens to be an awesome cook too! I have already posted her Haleem, shami kebabs, harira, gosht ka salan and chana chaat recipes. If you haven’t seen them or tried them already, do check them out because they all taste amazing.
Zahera was in Canada for the past one year and I missed her and all the yummy food she made. We both used to have lunch dates sharing our homemade food. Anyways the good news is the family got back last week. To welcome her, I made their family favorite karahi chicken and Aloo keema using her recipes. I was sure they would appreciate some home cooked food after the stressful move.
So here’s Zahera’s mom’s delicious aloo keema recipe. I will post the karahi chicken recipe next. Hope you guys will enjoy them.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
1. Keema (I used mutton keema) – 3/4 – 1 kg
2. Oil – 2.5 tbsp
3. Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
4. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp heaped
5. Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2.5 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Whole spices – Cardamom –2, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
6. Potato – 2 medium, cubed
7. Water – 1/4 cup
8. Tomato – 1 medium, thinly sliced
Green chilies – 3-4, slit
Cilantro – 3 tbsp, chopped
9. Salt – To taste
1. Heat 2 – 2.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onions and saute until golden. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until their raw smell is gone. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, pepper powder, whole spices, ground meat and enough salt. Mix well and fry for 6 – 8 minutes. Add potato cubes and 1/2 cup hot water. Mix well and cook covered for 15 – 20 minutes until the potato cubes become tender. Taste-check for salt. Finally add sliced tomatoes, slit green chilies and chopped cilantro. Keep covered for 10 minutes. Open the lid and serve hot with roti/rice/paratha/naan and salad.