Here’s an easy, healthy, flavorful and delicious vegetarian side-dish prepared using mixed vegetables and freshly ground spices. It goes well with chapthi, pulao and paratha. Hope you’ll enjoy this as much as did.
Kadai Vegetables Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1. Oil – 2.5 tbsp
2. Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp heaped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Green chilly – 1, slit
3. Tomato – 2 medium-large, roughly chopped and ground in a mixie
Sugar – 1 pinch
4. Onion – 1/2 cup, cubed
Bell pepper/ capsicum (red, yellow and green, if available) – 3/4 cup
5. Hot water – 1/4 cup
6. Carrot – 1 medium-large, cut into 1 inch pieces
Green beans – 6 – 8, cut into 1 inch pieces
Potato – 1 medium, cut into 1 inch pieces
7. Paneer – 1/4 cup, cubed
8. Salt – To taste
9. Cilantro – 1/4 cup, to garnish
For the Kadai Masala (To dry roast and coarsely grind)
10. Dried red chilies – 6
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Whole pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom – 2, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
In a small pan, dry roast dried red chilies, coriander seeds, whole pepper corns, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick for 1 – 2 minutes at medium-low heat. Add cumin seeds, kasoori methi and stir for 30 seconds. Switch off and set aside to cool. Grind to a coarse powder and set aside. We need only 1 – 1.5 tsp of this masala powder. You can store the remaining in an air-tight container.
1. Boil or steam carrot, green beans and potato pieces for 5 – 6 minutes. Add cauliflower pieces and continue to cook until the vegetables are almost done. Set aside.
2. Heat 2.5 tbsp oil in a kadai / any heavy-bottomed vessel. Add finely chopped onion and little salt. Saute until transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste, slit green chilly and continue to saute until onion starts to change color. Add turmeric powder and 1 – 1.5 tsp kadai masala. Mix well and add ground tomatoes. Add salt, to taste and cook covered for a few minutes until oil separates. Add cubed onion and bell pepper. Mix well and cook for a minute. Add 1/4 cup hot water. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Next add the cooked vegetables. Cover and cook for a coupleof minutes. Add paneer pieces and again cook for a minute. Switch off the stove. Sprinkle a fat pinch of kadai masala, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and serve hot with chapathis.
Adapted from Vahrevah.com