Vegetable Panini Sandwich
Ingredients (For 2 sandwiches, serves 2)
1. Thick slices of sourdough bread – 4
2. Zucchini – 1 medium, sliced
Eggplant (chinese or american) – 1 medium-small, sliced
Salt and pepper – To season
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
3. Tomato, firm and seeded – 1 medium, sliced
4. Mozzarella cheese slices (If you are using fresh mozzarella cheese, use the one which has less water content)
5. Basil pesto – 1 tsp (optional) (You can replace it with chopped basil leaves)
1. Combine the zucchini and eggplant slices with salt, pepper and olive oil. Grill for 2 – 3 minutes per side (you can pan fry them instead).
2. Top a bread slice with 2 – 3 mozzarella cheese slices (depending on the size of bread slice) followed by 2 – 3 tomato slices and a few slices of grilled vegetables. Top it again with mozzarella cheese slices (optional). Spread 1/2 tsp pesto on one side of a bread slice and place it on top of the sandwicg. Grill it on a panini press (You can use a regular pan instead of panini press. Heat it to medium and place the sandwich. Place a heavy weight on top or press down with a spatula and toast until both sides are golden). Slice and serve hot!
Recipe courtesy – Laura in the kitchen