Parippu Thoran / Toor dal stir-fry with coconut
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1. Toor dal /thuvara parippu – 1 cup
2. Grated coconut – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green chilies – 3
Garlic – 3 small cloves
3. Coconut oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
5. Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Curry leaves – A few
6. Crushed red chilies – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
7. Salt – To taste
1. Soak toor dal in enough water for 6 – 8 hrs. Drain and set aside.
2. Crush grated coconut along with turmeric powder, cumin seeds, green chilies and garlic in the small jar of a mixie (or crush cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies in a mortar and pestle and then combine it with coconut and turmeric powder).
3. Heat oil in a wok / cheena chatti over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilies. Add chopped onion,little salt, curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Add crushed red chilies and stir for a few seconds. Add grated coconut and stir for a minute. Finally add toor dal and mix well. Sprinkle 2 – 3 tbsp water. Bring everything to the center. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until done. Switch off. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.