Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Masoor dal – 2 tbsp
Moong dal – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1.5 cup or as required
For first tadka
2. Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Hing / asafoetida – 1 pinch
3. Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green chilies – 2, slit
Ginger and garlic – 3/4 tsp each, finely chopped
4. Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
5. Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Kasoori methi – 1/8 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
7. Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
8. Charcoal – 1 (for smoky flavor)
For second tadka
9. Ghee – 2 tsp
10. Garlic – 1 – 2 medium, sliced
Dried red chilies – 2 – 3, broken
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Rinse the dal well. Pressure cook the mixed dal adding enough water, turmeric powder and 1 tsp oil for 1 – 2 whistles. Set aside for 15 minutes or until pressure releases.
- Heat ghee over medium-high heat. Splutter cumin seeds and add hing. Stir for a few seconds and add onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies little salt and saute until light golden. Add chilli powder, coriander powder and saute for a minute until their raw smell disappears. Add chopped tomato and cook until mushy and oil separates. Add garam masala powder and mix well. Next add the pressure cooked dal and 1/2 cup hot water. Keep in mind that it will turn very thick as it rests. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for a few minutes. Taste-check for salt. Add kasoori methi and mix well. Switch off. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- For smoky flavor – Heat a charcoal over flame for a few minutes and place inside a small steel bowl. Place the bowl inside dal carefully and pour 1 – 2 tsp of ghee over it. Immediately cover the pan with lid. Remove charcoal bowl after 3 – 4 minutes.
- For second tadka – Heat 2 tsp ghee over medium-high heat. Add dried red chilies, garlic and cook over low flame until light golden. Switch off. Add chilli powder, stir for a few seconds and switch off. Pour this seasoning over the dal. Sprinkle cilantro and serve with naan/cumin rice / plain rice etc.