Pressure Cooker Mutton Biriyani / Easy Mutton Biriyani
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Basmati rice – 2 cups (Soak rice in enough water for 20 mts. Drain water completely and set aside)
2. Mutton – 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
To marinate mutton
3. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
Yoghurt – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Marinate mutton pieces with all the above ingredients. Set aside for 30 minutes.
4. Oil – 1.5 tbsp
5. Whole spices – cardamom – 2, cloves – 4, fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp, bay leaf – 1, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
6. Onion – 1.5 cup, chopped
Green chilies – 2 , slit
7. Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tbsp
8. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
9. Tomato – 1 small, finely chopped (Makes about 1/4 cup)
10. Mint leaves – 1/2 cup, chopped
Cilantro – 1/2 cup, chopped
11. Salt – To taste
12. Ghee – 1 tbsp
1. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a 4 or 5 liter pressure cooker at medium heat. Add the whole spices numbered 5 and stir until fragrant. Next add onion, little salt and green chilies. When onion turns transparent, add ginger-garlic paste. Saute well for a few minutes until onion starts changing color. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Stir for about 30 seconds at medium-low heat. Add chopped tomato and saute for 2 minutes. Add mutton pieces. Stir everything for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot water, 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Close with the lid and pressure-cook for 1 whistle. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 – 8 mts. Switch off. Open the pressure cooker when pressure releases. Mutton should be almost cooked by now. (This depends on the type of mutton and pressure cooker you use. Mutton will get cooked in 1 whistle if it is young and tender).
2. Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp ghee in a deep pan at medium heat and fry drained basmati rice for about 3 – 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. After opening the pressure cooker, transfer mutton pieces into a bowl using a slotted spoon. Now measure the stock inside the pressure-cooker. There will be around 1.5 – 2 cups of stock. You need 3 cups of water for 2 cups of basmati rice. Add remaining quantity of water to make 3 cups and bring to a boil. (I had 2 cups of stock inside the pressure cooker, so I added 1 cup of hot water). Add salt, to taste. The stock should be slightly salty. Next add mutton pieces, fried basmati rice, 1/4 cup chopped mint and cilantro. Close with lid and pressure-cook for 1 whistle. Switch off. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes. Open the lid and fluff rice with a fork. Transfer the mutton biriyani carefully into a wide serving bowl and serve hot with raita/ pappad / pickle / green chutney.