Bhindi masala is one of my most favorite veggie dish. The okras are stir-fried with an onion-tomato masala mixture to make a very tasty side dish for chapatis and rice. Hope you give this a try.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Vendakka / Okra / Bhindi – 25 – 30
- Oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced and halved
- Green chilies – 1- 2, slit
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2-3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder – 1 – 2 pinches (Optional)
- Tomato – 1 medium-large, chopped
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp, crushed
- Salt – To taste
- Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp, to garnish
1. Wash the okras well and pat dry. Cut the okra to half lengthwise and then slice each halves again. Keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Stir in the okra slices, little salt and stir-fry until they are done (this is done to prevent them from getting slimy. If you want, you can skip this step and add them after step 3 ). It would not take more than 10 – 11 minutes at medium heat. Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 –1.5 tbsp oil in the same pan at medium heat. Splutter cumin seeds and add sliced onion, green chilies and little salt. Stir for a minute and add ginger-garlic paste. Stir-fry until the onions turn lightly brown. Now add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for two minutes. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and amchur powder. Stir until the raw smell of masala powders is gone. Check for salt.
4. Stir in the cooked okra and dried kasoori methi. Mix everything well and stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes at medium-high heat. Switch off. You can garnish it with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve hot with chapatis or plain rice.
Any dish with bhindi is my fav…I luv vendaka so much…this verison sounds interesting and yum
Truly tempting, love anything with okra too..delicious masala..
tomato ittu ithuvare try cheythitilla try cheyyunnundu soon. pic adipoli
Hi. Okra is an all time favorite. Perfectly cut, made and presented.
okra preparation looks spicy and yummy…..addition of tomato is interesting…
Completely agree..i love bhindi masala:)
Yummy! This looks really appetizing and flavourful.
OMG, this is just awesome! Actually I think I might try this one.
Venddaka masala adipoli aytiu undu. Enikku isthamanu ingne undakunnuthu.
Super aytund tto..Enteyum fav ani bhindi masala…
Okra is my fav veggie,I make it the same way,looks Yum!
Love Vedakka masala..super ayitudu..perfectly made..will try your version soon.
Okra is my favorite too..very nicely made n presented!
Wow simply delicious okra fy…nice color and presentation
Vendakkakku ithrayum bhangiyo!!!!
Delicious! very simple and easy recipe.
this looks delicious… and very beautifully presented!
love the way u split it. nicely presented.
Hey long time i cudn visit u all… Lovely 🙂
Maya.. this look great..
First time here. What a lovely discovery for me to find your blog! Good food and great pictures too. Adding you to my reader 🙂
Anything with okra, just love it..super da.
I’m trying this! 🙂