Ingredients (Makes 24 )
- Butter – 1/2 cup, softened
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Powdered sugar – 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Walnut – 1/2 cup, finely chopped ( I crushed them in a blender. You can use other nuts such as pecans, almonds, cashews etc)
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Powdered sugar – 1/4 – 1/2 cup, to roll the cookies
1. Preheat oven to 325 F and place rack in the center of the oven.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the all purpose flour and 1 pinch salt. Mix well with a spatula and stir in the crushed / finely chopped nuts. Mix everything well with your hands/spatula to form a dough. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Shape into 1 inch balls and place 1 – 2 inches apart in an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 14 – 15 minutes until the bottom of the cookies turn slightly brown. Remove and place on a wire rack for a few minutes. While still warm, roll them in powdered sugar. Cool down and roll in the remaining powdered sugar (optional) before serving. They can be stored in airtight containers for up to 1 week.
- – They are known by different names such as Russian Tea Cakes, Snow Balls, Snow Drops, Sugar Balls, Butter Balls etc.
- – If the cookies aren’t keeping shape, cover and keep the dough in the fridge for about 30 mts – 1 hr or until firm.
- – If the dough is crumbly add 1 – 2 tsp milk and mix well.