Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Chemmeen / prawns – 15 large, cleaned and cut into halves( or use 1 cup small prawns instead)
2. Ridge gourd – 1 large, peeled and cut into cubes
3. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
4. Coconut oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
5. Shallots – 4, crushed
Garlic – 2, crushed
6. Crushed chilly flakes – 1/2 tsp
7. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1. Cook prawns and ridge gourd cubes, adding turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt. Cook until done and water completely evaporates ( no need to cover with a lid while cooking), about 8 – 10 mts (you can add the prawns halfway through if you want).
2. Heat 1 – 1.5 tbsp coconut oil in a cheena chatti or any pan. Add crushed pearl onions, garlic and curry leaves. Saute until light golden. Add crushed chilly flakes and mix well. Finally add cooked prawns and ridge gourd. Cook over medium or medium-high heat for a few minutes. Switch off. Serve hot with rice and a gravy.
1. Ridge gourd can be replaced with ivy gourd (kovakka). You can also use thenga kothu (coconut flakes) in this recipe. Fry them along with shallots, garlic etc(step 2).