Ingredients (Makes 20)
Cake Rusk Recipe
1. Butter – 1/2 cup (1 stick), room temperature
Granulated sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
2. Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Eggs – 3
3. All purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
1. Preheat oven at 350 F.
2. Combine all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer for about 1 minute. Add vanilla extract and the eggs one by one, beating until smooth. Scrape the bowl if necessary to make sure everything is incorporated. Add flour mixture (dry ingredients) and mix until just combined (do not over mix). Pour this batter into an 8 x 8 inch cake pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
4. Bake at 350 F for about 40 – 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet for about 10 – 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees F.
5. Cut the cake into 3/4 inch slices after 10 – 15 minutes. Lay them on foil or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes. Flip them and bake for another 6 minutes or until dry and crunchy. Cool and store in an air tight container.
Cake rusk will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week. Enjoy with tea/coffee.