Peach Upside Down Cake
Recipe Courtesy – Look Who’s Cooking Too
Recipe – Here
For the Caramel Topping
1. Dark / Light Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter- 1/4 cup
Canned peach slices – Around 400 gm. (If the peach slice is very thick, halve it. You can use fresh peaches instead)
For the Cake
2. Plain Flour / all purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 pinch
3. Granulated sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 3 medium-sized
Plain Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
4. Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup ( I used canola oil)
To Make the Caramel Topping
1. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper . Arrange the peach slices as shown in the picture below. Keep aside.
2. Place a saucepan over medium low heat and melt the sugar and butter. Once the mixture bubbles, swirl the pan and if required, stir using a spatula and take it off the flame. Cool for 2 minutes. Gently pour it over the peach slices. Keep aside.
To make the Cake
1. Centre a rack in the oven and preheat it to 350 F.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, add in the sugar, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla extract and using an electric beater or whisk, beat it all together till well-combined. Add the dry ingredients gradually while still whisking, making sure no traces of flour is seen once you are done. Now pour the oil into the mixture and mix with whisk or spatula. Don’t mix it too vigorously. Pour the cake batter gently on top of the peach slices till about 3/4th full. Bake for about 43 – 50 (mine took 45 mts) minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. Take it out of the oven and let it stay on a wire rack for about 3 minutes. Run a blunt knife through the edges of the cake to loosen it. Place a serving plate on top of the cake pan and gently invert the cake onto the serving plate. Peel off the parchment paper carefully, cool down and slice into wedges. Enjoy as is or with vanilla ice cream. Do give it a try..its super yum!!