Triple Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients (Makes 20 small cookies)
Recipe Courtesy – Nigella Lawson
1. Good quality dark or semi sweet chocolate with 70 % cocoa solids – 125 gm
2. All purpose flour – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
Corn starch / corn flour – 2 tbsp (Can be replaced with 2 tbsp all purpose flour)
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
3. Unsalted butter, room temperature – 1/2 cup
Light brown sugar – 1/3 cup
White sugar – 1/4 cup
4. Egg – 1 large
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
5. Dark chocolate chips / semi sweet chocolate chips – 1 – 1 1/4 cups
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Break the dark chocolate / semi sweet chocolate bar into small pieces and place it in a heatproof / microwave-safe bowl. OR Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Keep stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside to cool a bit.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Whisk or sift to remove lumps. Set aside.
4. Place the butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale in color, light and creamy – about 3 – 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla, another 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape in the melted chocolate and beat until fully incorporated. Add in the flour mixture and beat on low speed or use a wooden spoon until incorporated. Use a spatula and scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl a few times to ensure the batter is well-mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Scoop a tablespoon of cookie dough, roll into a ball and place it on the lined baking sheet. ( Refrigerate the cookie dough for 20 – 30 minutes. Its optional, I didn’t refrigerate).
6. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
7. Space the cookie dough about 2 inches apart from one another. Press 2 or 3 chocolate chips into the top and bake them for 15 – 18 minutes. Use a tooth pick to make sure it comes out clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again on a different part of the cookie.
Leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 3 – 4 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool. Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.