Ingredients (Serves 4)
Recipe Courtesy – Gordon Ramsay’s Great Escape
1. Black-eyed beans / lobia – 1.5 – 2 cups, dried
2. Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
Garlic – 5 – 6, minced
3. Tomato – 2 medium-large, chopped
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
5. Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 stick
6. Hing / asafoetida – 1 pinch
7. Oil – 1.5 tbsp
8. Salt – To taste
9. Cilantro – 2 tbsp chopped, to garnish
1. Soak the black-eyed beans in plenty of water overnight. Drain and place them in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Skim off any froth that rises to the surface. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender but not mushy. It takes about 30 mts. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan at medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds splutters, add the chopped onion, little salt and garlic. Stir-fry for 8 mts or until onion turns golden brown. Sprinkle little water if it burns. Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Stir for a minute and add the chopped tomatoes and hing. Stir until they get mashed up and oil separates, about 7 – 8 minutes. Add the cooked black-eyed beans and leave to simmer, for about 10 minutes. Taste-check for salt. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with chapatis/rice.
This looks awesome..Yummy Recipe
Delicious curry….Nice click..
Looks very nice… I remember this version . never had in a long time…thanks for shairng recipe
This sounds like a great side dish for rotis and rice.
super healthy and delicious !!
Ongoing Event – CC-Dish For Loved Ones
healthy curry…nice click dear!
delicious luking and healthy curry
Nutritious n protein packed curry..
Mouthwatering here, wat a terrific and super tempting dish..