1. Thick poha / flattened rice flakes – 1.5 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
2. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
3. Urad dal – 2 tsp (optional)
Peanuts – 2 – 3 tbsp
4. Potato – 1 small, cut into very small cubes
5. Onion – 1/2, small, chopped
Green chilly – 1, chopped fine
6. Salt – To taste
7. Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
8. Lemon/lime juice – 2 tsp
9. Cilantro – 2 tbsp
1. Put the thick poha in a colander and hold it under running water for about 30 – 45 seconds. Mix the poha with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and little salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and peanuts. When they turn golden, add potato cubes and little salt. Cover and cook for a few minutes at medium-low heat. When they are cooked, add onion and green chilies. Saute for a minute or two and add the poha. Mix well. Check for salt. Cover and cook for a few minutes. If the poha looks very dry, sprinkle little water and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Switch off. Add lemon juice after 2 minutes and mix well. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with curd / jalebis.
You can top it with little chopped onion, tomato (seeded), cilantro, sev/mixture and ketchup, if you like.