‘Happy Janmashtmi’ to all my readers!
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Aval / poha / rice flakes – 1/2 cup (I used brown matta rice flakes)
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar or grated jaggery – 1/4 cup + 2 – 3 tbsp
- Cashews – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 pinch
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan at medium heat. Fry cashews until golden. Drain on to a paper towel. Next fry raisins until plump and drain. To the remaining ghee, add aval/poha and fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Switch off and set aside.
2. Meanwhile boil milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add fried poha and cook for about 7 – 10 minutes until poha is done and payasam is thick. Add sugar/ grated jaggery, mix well and cook until it melts completely. If the payasam is very thick, add 1/4 cup hot milk and cook for a minute. Finally add fried cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix well and switch off. Serve warm or cold. Its simple, easy to prepare and delicious too! Enjoy!