Tapioca – fish Balls / Kerala Recipes
Ingredients (Makes 16 – 18)
1. Tapioca – 1 kg, sliced (I used a pack of frozen sliced tapioca)
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – As required to taste
Butter – 2 tbsp
2. Fish – Around 300 – 350 gm ( I used 2 tilapia fillets)
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Pepper powder – 1 pinch
Salt – To taste
Oil – 1 tsp
3. Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tbsp, minced
Green chilly – 1, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 10, finely chopped
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
5. Salt – To taste
6. Oil – 1 tbsp
7. Egg – 1, beaten
8. Bread crumbs – Around 1 – 1.5 cups
1. Clean and cut fish into small pieces. Cook them adding a pinch of turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. Shred the fish pieces using the back of a spatula while cooking. Switch off and set aside when done.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute onion, ginger, chopped green chilly and curry leaves. Saute until onion starts to change color. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Add the shredded fish. Mix well, taste-check for salt and set aside.
3. Boil tapioca pieces in lots of water adding salt and turmeric powder. When they are done and are easily mashable, switch off the flame. Drain the water and return it to the original vessel. Add 2 tbsp butter and mash the tapioca pieces well using the back of a large spoon or a potato maher. Taste-check for salt. Set aside.
4. Make medium sized balls out of the mashed tapioca and flatten them. Put 2 – 3 tsps of the fish filling and reshape back into a ball. Roll them in beaten egg followed by the bread crumbs. Deep-fry for about 5 – 8 minutes, until browned all over. Serve as is or with tomato ketchup.