Ingredients (Serves 6 – 7)
1. Black eyed peas – 3/4 cup, cooked ( Soak dried black eyed peas in enough water for 8 hrs. Cook it adding enough water and little salt for about 1 whistle or until tender. Drain excess water and set aside.)
2. Green beans – 1.5 cups (Around 30 – 40 no), chopped
3. Carrot – 1 medium, chopped
4. Garlic – 2 medium cloves
Green chilies – 2 – 3
Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
5. Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
6. Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
7. Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilies – 2, broken
8. Salt – To taste
1. Crush garlic, green chilies and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a cheena chatti / any deep pan at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies. Add finely chopped onion, turmeric powder, crushed garlic mixture and stir until onion is transparent. Add chopped beans, carrot and salt. Mix well. Sprinkle 1 – 2 tbsp water and cook covered at medium-low heat for 5 – 7 minutes until they are almost done. Add cooked black eyed peas, grated coconut and mix well. Cook for a few more minutes. Taste-check for salt. Switch off. Serve with rice.
In picture – Black eyed peas thoran, pineapple pulliseri, street food style chicken fry, butternut squash erisseri and kerala red rice
Delicious and lovely looking mix of veggies. Very colorful indeed.
tried this yummy thoran…it was delicious..did u forgot to mention turmeric powder in the ingredients list?plz do reply…
Great to know that you liked it 🙂 And yeah i forgot to mention turmeric powder, will update the recipe now. Thanks for pointing it out, Mira 🙂
Came out gr8