Here’s a yummy ivy gourd / kovakka fry that goes really well with rice. I am sure you’ll love it!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Kovakka /ivy gourd – 30 – 35 (Around 300 – 350 gm), cut lengthwise into quarters and then halved
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As required to taste
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Green chilies – 2- 3, slit
Thenga kothu / sliced coconut – 3 tbsp
2. Onion – 3/4 cup, cubed
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
3. Oil – To deep fry
1. In a cheena chatti, combine ivy gourd pieces with turmeric powder, enough salt, few curry leaves, slit green chilies, thenga kothu and little water. Cook covered at medium-high heat for 3 – 4 minutes. Open and mix well. Cook for 1 more minute until it is completely dry.
2. Deep-fry the kovakka pieces at medium-high heat in 2 – 3 batches, stirring once or twice in between until golden. It takes about 4 minutes. Drain on to a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Next, fry the onion cubes for 4 – 5 minutes until lightly golden. Drain on to a paper towel.
3. Once you are done with the frying part, transfer the fried ivy gourd pieces and onion to a bowl. Add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp chilly powder and 1/2 – 3/4 tsp garam masala powder or chicken masala powder and more salt, if required. Toss well. Serve this yummy kovakka fry with rice and any other side-dishes.