Semiya / Vermicelli Egg Biriyani Recipe
Ingredients(Serves 3 – 4)
1. Roasted semiya / vermicelli – 1.5 cup
2. Ghee – 1 tsp
3. Whole spices – Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch, cloves – 4, cardamom – 2, whole pepper corns – 1/4 tsp (You can use a pinch of garam masala powder instead)
4. Water / chicken stock / vegetable stock – 2 1/4 cup ( For 1 cup roasted semiya, use 1.5 cup water/stock)
5. Mint leaves – 5 – 6, torn
Cilantro – few sprigs
6. Salt – To taste
7. Ghee / coconut oil – 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
8. Cashews – 10
Raisins – A few
9. Carrot – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
Fresh green peas – 1/4 cup
10. Eggs – 3, beaten with enough salt and a pinch of pepper powder
11. Onion – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced
12. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2, cut into thick rounds
13. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
14. Tomato – 1 small, chopped
15. Cilantro- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Mint leaves – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
1. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a deep pan. Add the whole spices and stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Add roasted semiya and stir for a few seconds until it is coated with ghee. Add hot water / chicken /vegetable stock and torn mint leaves and cilantro. Add salt to taste. Cook covered until vermicelli is done, about 5 – 6 minutes at medium heat, stirring in between so that it wont stick to the bottom. Fluff with a fork and set aside. (It will look sticky and clumpy while hot, but don’t worry it will be okay when it cools down a bit.)
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee/coconut oil in a wide pan at medium-high heat. Fry cashews until golden and drain well. Next add raisins and fry until plump. Drain well. Next add carrot and fresh green peas. Fry for 5 – 6 minutes stirring twice or thrice in between. Drain on to a paper towel.
3. In the remaining oil, add the beaten eggs and scramble them.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan (you can wipe the pan using a damp paper towel before adding oil) and add onions and little salt. Fry until transparent. Next add ginger-garlic paste, green chilies and stir until onion turns golden. Add turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Stir until their raw smell is gone. Add tomatoes and stir until mushy. Finally add scrambled egg and mix well. Switch off. Transfer half of the egg mixture into another plate.
5. To layer – Remove half of the egg mixture into a plate and set aside. Top the remaining egg mixture in the pan with 2 tbsp each cashews, raisins, chopped cilantro and mint. (You can add a tsp of ghee,if you want). Top it with half of the cooked semiya. Next add the remaining egg mixture. Top them again with cashews, raisins, chopped mint, cilantro and the remaining cooked semiya. Cover with lid. Place this pan on a griddle/large tawa and cook for 4 – 5 minutes at medium-low heat until steam condenses on the lid as shown in the picture above. Switch off. Mix well. Serve hot with pickle, raita and pappadam.