Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Oil – 3/4 – 1 tsp
2. Dried red chilies – 2, broken
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
2. Tomato – 2 small, chopped
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
3. Salt – To taste
4. Tamarind – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
5. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilly – 1(optional)
Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add urad dal and broken dried red chilies. Saute for a minute until urad dal turns golden and dried red chilies turn crisp. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. In the remaining oil, saute chopped tomatoes until mushy. Add grated coconut and salt, to taste. Cook for a minute. Switch off.
3. Grind dried red chilies and urad dal in the small jar of a mixie. Next add tomato-coconut mixture, tamarind and grind until you get the consistency of chutney.
4. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilly and curry leaves. Pour over the chutney. Enjoy with idli/dosa.