Basic Pound Cake
Ingredients (Makes one 9 x 5 inch loaf)
1. All purpose flour – 1.5 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
2. Unsalted butter – 1 cup (2 sticks), at room temperature
Sugar – 1 cup + 2 tbsp (I used granulated sugar)
3. Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Almond extract – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
4. Eggs – 4 large, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven at 325 F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter and line with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer for about 6 – 7 minutes at high speed until pale and fluffy, scraping down the sides. Reduce speed to medium. Beat in vanilla extract, almond extract and yoghurt. Add the eggs one by one beating well after each addition. Now switch to a whisk. Add flour mixture in 2 batches and beat until just incorporated. Pour this batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth top with a spatula.
4. Bake at 325 F for 50 – 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes in the pan. Invert into a plate/ wire rack. Slice and serve as is or with whipped cream and berries.