Amaretti Cookies – These classic Italian almond cookies have a crunchy crust and a soft chewy middle with a lovely almond flavor. Made with almond flour, egg whites and almond extract as the main ingredients, these are incredibly easy to prepare.
Ingredients (Makes about 20 cookies)
- Almond flour (I used blanched almond meal/flour) – 2 + 1/4 cup
Granulated sugar – 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp
- Egg whites – of 2 eggs, at room temperature
Salt – 1 pinch
- Almond extract – 3/4 – 1 tsp
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tspMethod
1. Combine almond flour and granulated sugar in a medium bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites adding a pinch of salt until soft or medium stiff peaks form. It takes only 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Add almond extract and vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds till combined.
4. Add almond flour mix. Stir with a spatula till you get a dough (it maybe a little sticky, but its fine. If it is too wet, add 1 – 2 tbsp almond flour and mix well. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven at 325 F.
6. Take out the dough from the refrigerator. Grease your palm or lightly dust your palm with powdered sugar. Shape into balls and roll in granulated or powdered sugar/icing sugar (I rolled them in granulated sugar first and then in powdered sugar). Place in a parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Bake at 325 F for 25 – 27 minutes. Let rest on baking sheet for 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in air tight container for a week at room temperature, refrigerate for longer shelf life. They taste best the next day. Enjoy with tea/coffee.