Chembu Moru Curry
1. Chembu / taro root – 3 small, cubed
Curry leaves – A few
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Water – Around 1 – 1.5 cup or as required
Salt – To taste
2. Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 1 – 2 small cloves (optional)
Green chilies – 2 – 3
3. Yoghurt – 2.5 cups, beaten with little water
4. Coconut oil – 1.5 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Dry red chilies – 2, broken
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp (You can replace it with 1/8 tsp fenugreek powder. Sprinkle it when the moru curry is done.)
1. Grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies to a very fine paste adding little water.
2. Cover and cook the ingredients numbered 1 in a cheena chatti or any vessel until the chembu / taro root is done.
3. Add the ground coconut mixture and cook at low heat for a few minutes, until the raw taste of coconut is gone completely. Now add the beaten yoghurt, salt and stir continuously for a few minutes minutes until it is heated through. Switch off.
4. Heat oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Switch off when the fenugreek seeds turn brown. Pour the seasoning over the moru curryi. Cover with a lid for 10 minutes. Serve with any mezhukkupuratti / thoran, pappadam etc.