Kerala Upma (Fluffy Kerala Style Upma Recipe)
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Roasted semolina / rava – 1 Cup (I used Nirapara brand roasted rava)
2. Ghee/ Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilli – 1, broken
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Cashews, broken – 2 tbsp
3. Pearl onions – 5, thinly sliced or 3 – 4 tbsp, finely chopped onion
Ginger – 1/2 Teaspoon, finely chopped
Green chilly – 2, chopped
Curry leaves – A few
4. Carrot – 2 – 3 tbsp , finely chopped
5. Salt – As required
6. Water – 1 – 1.25 Cup
7. Grated coconut – 1/4 cup (optional, for an extra taste)
Ghee – 1 – 2 tsp
- Heat coconut oil / ghee in a pan over medium-high heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilly. Fry urad dal and cashews until golden.
- Add onion, green chilly, ginger, curry leaves and saute till onion becomes transparent. Add carrot and stir for a minute.
- Add water, salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Add roasted semolina little by little stirring continuously without forming lumps. (Add semolina with one hand and stir with other hand). Mix well. Immediately cover with a lid and cook for 1 – 2 minutes over the lowest heat setting. Switch off and let it rest for 5 mts. Open the lid after 5 minutes and stir well using a large spoon to break any lumps. Add 1/4 cup grated coconut and a teaspoon of ghee for an extra taste. Mix well. Cover with a lid for 2 minutes. Fluffy Kerala style upma is ready to serve. Serve with pappadam and ripe banana / steamed plantain/ ethapazham / ethapazham varattiyathu.