Wishing all my readers a very happy and blessed New Year!!
Ingredients (Serves 6 – 7)
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Sweetened condensed milk – 1 can (14 oz)
Evaporated milk – 1 can (12 oz)
Eggs – 3
Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 pinch (optional)
1. Preheat oven at 350 F.
2. Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook over low-medium heat, swirling occasionally, until the mixture turns golden. It will take about 6 – 8 minutes. Cook for a few more seconds and switch off the heat. Pour the hot caramel into a ramekin, swirl to evenly coat the bottom. The caramel will harden in a few seconds. Set aside.
3. Blend the condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour it over the caramel syrup in the ramekins. Place the ramekins inside a large 9 x 13 baking pan filled with 1 – 1.5 inch hot water (until the water reaches about halfway up the sides of the ramekins).
4. Bake at 350 F for 30 – 32 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool down to room temperature. Keep in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 hrs or until serving.
5. To unmold, run a knife along the sides of the ramekins. Place the serving dish upside down over the ramekin. Now holding tightly, invert the dish and ramekin together. Now lift the ramekin slowly. If it does not come out, you can shake the ramekin gently to loosen the flan. Spoon the caramel over the flan. Enjoy!
* To better remove flan from pan before inverting, warm bottom of pan in a hot water bath for a few seconds.
* You can use an 8 x4 inch loaf pan or an 8 inch round pan instead of ramekins but the cooking time may vary (45 minutes – 1 hr). Check for doneness after 40 – 45 minutes.