Gobi Paratha / Cauliflower Stuffed Paratha
Ingredients (Makes 8 – 10)
1. Whole wheat flour / Atta – Around 2 – 2.5 cups
Salt – As required
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Warm water – As required
2. Cauliflower – 200 gm, grated (Makes about 1 – 1.5 cup)
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Roasted cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1pinch (optional)
Green chilies – 1 small, minced
Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
Ajwain seeds / aymodakam – 1 pinch
Salt – 1 – 2 pinches
3. Butter – 1 – 2 tsp to serve with paratha, optional
Yogurt, chutney or pickle – to serve on side
1. For the dough – Add salt to the wheat flour, combine, slowly add water and ghee to form a soft dough. Cover with a slightly moist kitchen towel or paper towel and let it rest for 15 – 20 mts.
2. For the stuffing – Grate the cauliflower florets and add all the remaining ingredients numbered 2 except salt. Add salt, just before preparing the parathas.
3. Roll the dough to equal-sized balls.
4. Next dip an atta ball into dry whole wheat flour spread in a wide plate, flatten slightly and roll to form a small circle. Add salt to the cauliflower stuffing and mix well. Place the cauliflower stuffing in the center (2 – 3 tbsp) of the atta circle. Sprinkle a little wheat flour on top and gather all the corners of the dough and pinch them to the center. Press it down gently to flatten and flip to the other side.
5. Dust the working surface with some dry atta flour and roll out the stuffed dough. Sprinkle flour / atta podi generously while rolling. Do not apply too much pressure as the stuffing might come out.
6. Heat a tawa over medium heat and once it is hot, place a paratha and let it cook for 15 – 20 secs. Flip the paratha and let it cook for a few more seconds. Once light brown spots appear, drizzle some oil or ghee and roast to a golden brown shade on both sides. Use a spatula to press the puffed areas as the paratha gets roasted. Repeat with the remaining parathas. Serve hot with any curry of your choice or yogurt, chutney and pickle.