Ingredients (Makes 3 burgers)
1. Ground meat – 450 gm (ground chuck preferred or 80 – 85 % lean)
Mayonnaise / beaten egg – 1 tbsp
Onion powder – 1 pinch
Garlic powder – 1 pinch
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Oil – 1 tbsp or as required
3. Hamburger buns – 3
Butter – 1.5 tbsp for toasting buns
Cheese slices (cheddar, provolone cheese etc) – 3 – 4
Mayonnaise / Ketchup / Chilly sauce – 2 – 3 tbsp or as required
1. Combine the ground meat with all the remaining ingredients numbered 1. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until they are just combined (do not overmix). Divide into 3 large sized balls (you can make it any size you want depending on the size of the buns, keep in mind that they will shrink a lot while cooking) and form patties. Wet your hands or grease your hands with a little oil and press the ball on your palm with the other hand and shape the edges. Do not press too hard and smooth out any big cracks using your fingers. Form the patties wider than you’d like them to be and make a small dimple/indentation in the center using your thumb to prevent bulging in the center as it cooks.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a griddle/ cast iron pan / indoor grill pan over medium heat. Cook the beef patties for about 4 – 5 minutes / side for well-done or until it reaches the desired doneness. During the last minute of cooking, place a cheese slice on top of the patties and allow to melt. Let the patties rest for 2 minutes.
3. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a small pan. Place onion rings. Season with tiny pinch of salt. Caramelize both sides and remove to a plate. This removes the harsh taste of onions.
4. Meanwhile butter and toast the burger buns and remove to a plate. Spread a little mayonnaise(preferred) or ketchup on one side of each bun. Top with lettuce followed by tomato. Sprinkle tomato slices with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Top it with the beef patty and grilled onion rings. Serve immediately with pickles and fries.