Kerala Style Kothu Porotta/Paratha
Porottas are one of the easily available things in the Indian store in freezer section. This kothu porotta is a South Indian dish which can be easily prepared, and is a perfect brunch for weekends:). You can also serve it as a snack. Here is the recipe for kothu porotta.
- Porotta – 4-5, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Onion – 1 medium, diced
- Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 4, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Salt – to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds.
2. Add onion and salt. Saute onion untill translucent. Then add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chilies.
3. Add the tomatoes, cook until soft.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and mix well.
5. Add the porotta pieces and stir fry it for a few minutes. Now add the tomato ketchup and mix well.
6. Beat the eggs with little salt. Now pour it into the porottas gently and scramble it.
7. Garnish with the coriander leaves. Remove from the heat.
8. Serve hot.
1. You can use chappathi/plain nan instead of porotta.
2. You can also add minced chicken/any meat to this.
3. The porottas can also be deep fried for extra taste.
4. Vegetarians can avoid eggs.
Recipe by Lakshmi Abhilash