Sukhiyan is a very delicious tea time snack in Kerala. It’s really easy to prepare, here is the recipe:
Ingredients (Makes 15 – 20)
- Green gram /Moong bean/ Cherrupayar – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup (Adding coconut is optional)
- Jaggery, grated – 1/2 cup or to taste
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder, cumin powder – 2 pinches (Optional)
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- All purpose flour / Maida – 1 cup
- Coconut milk/Milk/Water – As required for making a thick batter
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp (for making the sukhiyans a little crispy)
- Salt – A pinch
1) Cook the green gram in a pressure cooker or a vessel (do not overcook it) with enough water, until cooked through. Drain the excess water and keep aside. Melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup water, sieve and boil it. Add the grated coconut and mix well. Now add the cooked green gram. Stir until it becomes somewhat dry ( for around 15 – 20 mts). Now add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder, cumin powder and mix well. Switch off.
2) Mix maida, turmeric powder, rice flour and a pinch of salt in water or coconut milk/milk (for an extra taste) to make a thick batter. When the green gram-jaggery- coconut mixture is cold enough for touch, make small balls out of it. Dip them in the maida batter and deep fry for 3 – 5 minutes until done. Serve after 20 minutes. Enjoy!!
Sukhiyan makes me hungry, feel like grabbing few from the click…delicious!!
lovely…lovely recipe…my mom makes this!
Wooow!!! nice sukiyan dear i like this sweet balls very much my amma often make this for us.
i love sukhiyan..even the horrible bakery ones…hahaha…so home made wud be a 100 times better…
These look very good for an afternoon snack. I think I can eat many 😀
Sukhiyan looks splendid…I loved your new version…def gonna give a try. fab clicks too.
Wow nice sukiyan..I love it..looks yummy yummy…
Very healthy snack, have read various versions, yet to try.
Yum yumm,my fav snack with tea….
Yummies, you rock again. Sukhiyan kazhicha kalam okke marane poi ..love these ..
Yummy I love sukhiyan… I really want this now.. looks very very tempting.
Oh Thats my fav.. love it. Looks soooo tempting.
Sukhiyan looks so delicious…
mouthwatering snack dear..looks perfect and yummy
ayyoooooo….. so tempting….Wish I could grab one of those from the pic itself….yummmmmm…..
Looks delicious.. and temptnig…
this is my favorite.Looks so yum!
Wow.. this is so yummy 🙂
Wow, they looks so great and I am guessing that dark color is from the jaggery, right?
Yummy ma grandma used to make this…they look perfect as usual and thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂
This is very new to me I have never used turmeric in a sweet dish.Very interesting recipe.
Delicious sukiyans.Like to grab all of them from the bowls.
Yummy looks great 🙂
hey gals.. awesome sukhiyan..love it..this was one of our initial posts.. havent made it in a while.. btw you gals are on a lightening speed..keep up the great work
Yummy snacks..the 4th pic looks so realistic feel like picking one from the screen..
hello yummy team..sukhiyan superb..i think one bowl is for me right..thanks dear
really delicious and yummy..
what a manapporutham alle? 🙂
Couldnt resist myself… njaan Sukhiyan undaakki… Thanks Yummies!!!
Never seen this before but it sure looks appetizing.
ummmm kidu kidillan,yithu ellam kazhichittu kallam kura ayi keto…
I too like this swet…we make this for Diwali…nice snack with tea 🙂
Lovely yummy sweet. Gotta try this weekend. Looks sooo yummy and am craving right now. 🙂
nammude manassu oru pole aanu chinthikkunne ennu thonnunnu…I was thinking of making this today….randennam eduthotte…
Raavile breakfast-num sukhiyan thanne aayirunne 😀
My all time fav.. Healthy and yummy snack..
Sukhiyan’s are my favourite,looking yummy,nice picture
Never heard of this before but it surely looks tempting n ur easy recipe inspires me to giv it a try !!
New to me..sounds tempting sanck..
So perfect and yummy!!!!nice recipe too..
Looks yum. One of very healthy snack.
Like your blog name the recipe also looking yummy…nice snack item too….love it..
These are one of my fav snacks. Beautiful pics too 🙂
I love sukhiyan..Fabulous clicks!!
Thank you all!!
Looks so yummy. My fav. I love to have with hot tea. Ur picture is making m edrool. Yumm. I want few no the whole thing.. Very nice.
കല്യാണിക്കുട്ടിക്ക് സുഖിയന് തിന്നാന് കൊതിയായി. ഇന്ന് ഉണ്ടാക്കാന് ശ്രമിക്കട്ടെ.
Tried this too… Came out good and tasty.
The addition of dry ginger & jeera powder was new to me.
Thanks for the recipe…
You’re welcome dear..I am really happy that it came out good for you 🙂
The sukiyan help me to grab 100 kisses from my husband….:)
I am gonna try this tomorrow.. Thanks for the recipe..