Sukhiyan is a very delicious tea time snack in Kerala. It’s really easy to prepare, here is the recipe:
Ingredients (Makes 15 – 20)
- Green gram /Moong bean/ Cherrupayar – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup (Adding coconut is optional)
- Jaggery, grated – 1/2 cup or to taste
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder, cumin powder – 2 pinches (Optional)
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- All purpose flour / Maida – 1 cup
- Coconut milk/Milk/Water – As required for making a thick batter
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp (for making the sukhiyans a little crispy)
- Salt – A pinch
1) Cook the green gram in a pressure cooker or a vessel (do not overcook it) with enough water, until cooked through. Drain the excess water and keep aside. Melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup water, sieve and boil it. Add the grated coconut and mix well. Now add the cooked green gram. Stir until it becomes somewhat dry ( for around 15 – 20 mts). Now add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder, cumin powder and mix well. Switch off.
2) Mix maida, turmeric powder, rice flour and a pinch of salt in water or coconut milk/milk (for an extra taste) to make a thick batter. When the green gram-jaggery- coconut mixture is cold enough for touch, make small balls out of it. Dip them in the maida batter and deep fry for 3 – 5 minutes until done. Serve after 20 minutes. Enjoy!!