Ethakka Appam / Pazham Pori /Ripe Banana Fritters
- Ripe banana / ethapazham / nenthra pazham – 4, peeled
- Whole wheat flour or all purpose flour – 3/4 – 1 cup (I used wheat flour. If you are using maida, add a pinch of turmeric powder)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Black sesame seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – A pinch
- Water – 3/4 – 1 cup or as required to make a thick batter
- Coconut oil – To deep-fry
1. Put the flour in a wide bowl. Add salt, cumin seeds and sesame seeds. Add water little by little to make a thick batter. Cut the ripe bananas to 2 – 3 portions and then slice them lengthwise.
2. Heat coconut oil in a deep pan or cheena chatti at medium heat. Dip the banana pieces in the batter to coat it well and then drop in oil. Fry until golden brown turning them over in between. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on to a paper towel.
You can add 1-2 spoons of rice flour to make it crispy.
If the banana is not sweet enough, you can add 2 spoons of sugar to the batter.
A pinch of cardamom powder can also be added to the batter for an extra taste.