Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
1. Cheera – 1/2 kg
Cucumber / vellarikka – 1 cup
Green chillies – 3 – 4, slit
Uppumanga / mango in brine – 4 small (It can be replaced with raw mango or tamarind)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 – 2 sprigs
2. Grated coconut – 1 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
3. Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds to a coarse mixture.
2. Wash the cheera well. Cut the stems into 1.5 inch pieces and chop the leaves. Cut the cucumber into long, thin pieces. Cut the uppumanga into small pieces.
3. Cover and cook the ingredients numbered 1 adding 1/2 cup water.
4. When it is done, bring down the heat, make a well in the center and add the crushed coconut mixture. Cover it up with the cooked vegetables. Cover with a lid and let it cook for a few minutes. Now open and mix everything well. Taste-check for salt. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes and add 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves. Switch off. Close with the lid and set aside for 15 mts. Mix everything well and serve hot with rice.
Chakka kuru/ jack fruit seeds goes well with cheera. You can add around 1/4 cup sliced jack fruit seeds for this preparation.