Chakka Pradhaman / Jackfruit Pudding
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
- Chakka Varattiyathu / Jackfruit halwa – 1 cup, packed
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Medium-thick coconut milk (second extraction) – 1 cup
- Thin coconut milk (third extraction) – 1 cup
- Sabudana – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 200 gm or to taste (Melt the jaggery in a cup of water and filter to remove any impurities)
- Cardamom powder + cumin powder + dry ginger powder ( chukku podi) – 1 tsp
- Cashews and raisins – 2 tbsp each
- Coconut bits (thenga kothu) – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 – 1.5 tbsp or as required
1. Soak the chakka varattiyathu in thin coconut milk (third extraction). Soak the sabudana in enough water for 1 hour.
2. Heat an uruli at medium heat. Cook the sabudana in 1 cup water, stirring continuously for about 15 minutes, adding more water, if required. Add the filtered jaggery syrup and boil the mixture, stirring continuously. When it thickens, add the soaked chakka varattiyathu along with the thin coconut milk in which it was soaked. Stir continuously until thick. Add the medium-thick coconut milk. Bring down the flame to low heat. Stir until it thickens and add the thick coconut milk. Remove from heat and add the cardamom, cumin and dried ginger powder.
3. Heat ghee in a small pan. Fry the coconut flakes until brown. Drain on to a paper towel and set aside. Fry the raisins until plump and drain. Add in the cashews and fry until golden. Pour the fried items over the payasam. Cover with a lid for 15 mts and serve hot / chilled.
Recipe Courtesy – Jaya Aunty