Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Moong dal / cherupayar parippu – 1/2 cup
2. Spinach – 1.5 cup packed
3. Onion – 1/2 small, chopped
Garlic – 3 – 4, finely chopped
Green chilies – 2, slit
4. Tomato – 1 small, chopped
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp (optional)
7. Salt – To taste
8. Ghee/ butter / oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
1. Roast the moong dal at medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes or until slightly golden. Transfer to a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and cook for 1 whistle or until done. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds. Add onion, garlic and green chilies. Saute until onion turns light golden in color. Add turmeric powder and chilly powder. Saute for a few seconds. Add chopped tomato. Saute for a few minutes and add chopped spinach. Saute until spinach wilts, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the cooked dal, salt and mix well. Cook covered at low heat for about 8 minutes. If the gravy is very thick, add 1/2 – 1 cup hot water. Add garam masala powder and lemon juice. Mix well. Switch off. Serve with chapatis / rice.
i like the presentation ! very nice ! and who say no to palak? i love the lentil and palak combination !
Super comfort food !!
Super thick comforting dal.
palakura pappu with hot rice ,ghee and some papa dams definitely filling…
Shld try dis once..
Participate in my event with giveaways..
Restyle My Taste !!
you can make this with toor dal also.
Can try out this slight variation too.You can combine moong dhal and masoor dhal in equal quantities.The rest of the receipe is the same.A perfect combination for rotis and chappathis..
turned out very well
so yummy dal palak curry.. 🙂
Thanks Seena 🙂
Buddy you really made my day, I am a bachelor and hardly know how to cook but could pull this off- came out really well. You are doing a great public service.