Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Penne pasta, preferably ridged penne – 2 cups
2. Garlic – 2 large cloves, minced
Crushed red chilies – 1/2 tsp
3. Tomatoes – 2 large, blanched ( I used beef-steak tomatoes from Costco. Use 3 tomatoes if you prefer more sauce. Also try to use tomatoes that are not very sour, for this recipe)
4. Parsley – 3 tbsp, chopped
5. Olive oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
6. Parmesan cheese, grated – 1 – 2 tbsp
7. salt – To taste
1. To blanch tomatoes – Put the tomatoes in boiling water. Boil for about 1 – 2 minutes or until their skin starts peeling off. Take them out and set aside for 2 minutes. Peel off their skin and remove the seeds and pulp. Chop the flesh and keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan at medium-low heat. Add minced garlic, crushed red chilies and saute for a minute (do not brown them). Add the chopped tomatoes and enough salt. Cook at medium heat for about 10 – 15 minutes until the tomatoes turn pulpy, stirring occasionally and mashing them with a spatula.
3. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package instructions adding salt and 1 tsp olive oil, till al dente. Right before you are ready to drain, reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta. Add it to the tomato sauce. Mix everything well and add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp chopped parsley. Mix well. Switch off. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Try using ridged penne pasta for this recipe. If the finished pasta looks very dry, add 1/4 cup reserved pasta water, mix well and cook for 1 minute.