1. Boneless chicken – Around 350 – 400 gm, cut into 1 inch cubes (I used 2 chicken breasts)
2. Lemon juice – 4 tsp
Olive oil – 1.5 tbsp
Greek yoghurt – 2 tbsp
Pepper powder, freshly ground – 1/2 tsp
Dried oregano – 1.5 tsp
Garlic – 4 large cloves, minced
Salt – To taste
Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients numbered 2. Keep it in the refrigerator for 8 hrs or a minimum of 2 hrs. Take it out of the refrigerator half hour before frying or grilling.
3. Pita bread – 3
4. Tzatziki sauce – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
5. Red onion – 1/4 cup, chopped
6. Tomato – 1/2 cup, seeded and chopped
1. Cook the chicken pieces in a skillet / non-stick pan or arrange on skewers and grill them. (I pan-fried them in 1 tbsp olive oil). Fry the chicken pieces at medium heat for 6 – 8 minutes until browned on both sides.
2. Brush a little olive oil on both sides of the pita bread and place on a griddle until heated through but still soft, about 30 seconds on each side at medium heat. Transfer it to a plate.
3. Top the pita bread with the chicken pieces. Next add around 1 – 2 tbsp of tzatziki sauce and top it all with chopped onion and tomatoes. You can also add other toppings such as shredded lettuce, French fries etc. Serve the chicken gyros immediately.
- Greek yoghurt – 1 cup (You can use regular whole milk yoghurt instead but strain it in a cheesecloth/muslin cloth for minimum 2 hrs before using)
- Cucumber – 1 large, peeled, seeded and grated
- Garlic – 1 tsp, minced
- Lemon juice or white wine vinegar – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Pepper powder – 1 pinch
- Fresh mint leaves or dill – 1 – 2 tsp, finely chopped
Using paper towels squeeze out maximum moisture from the grated cucumber. Combine it with rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate tzatziki sauce for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.