- 1 French baguette or any crusty bread cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch slices
- Fresh, ripe but firm tomato – 2 medium, seeded and cut into small cubes
- Basil leaves – 4 – 5, torn or finely chopped to small pieces
- Garlic – 4 – 5 cloves, slightly crushed
- Freshly ground pepper – As required
- Salt – As required
- Extra-virgin olive oil – As required
1. Combine the tomato pieces with chopped basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper powder.
2. Toast the bread slices for a few minutes (you can brush them with a little olive oil or butter before toasting, if you want). Rub a garlic clove on each toasted bread. Top with tomato and basil mixture. Drizzle olive oil on top. Serve immediately.