1. Vendakka / okra – 2 cups, cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch rounds
2. Coconut oil – 2 – 2.5 tbsp
3. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
Curry leaves – A few
4. Pearl onions – Around 20, sliced (Or you can use 3/4 – 1 cup onion, thinly sliced and chopped)
Green chilly – 1, slit
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
6. Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
7. Tamarind – Small goose-berry sized (Soak in 1/2 cup hot water for 10 minutes and squeeze out its juice)
Hot water – 1 cup
8. Salt – To taste
1. Heat 2 – 2.5 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilies and curry leaves. Next add sliced pearl onions, slit green chilly, vendakka pieces and enough salt. Stir-fry for 6 – 8 minutes until onion starts to change color and the sliminess of okra is gone. Add tomato pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder. Saute until their raw smell is gone.
2. Add 1 cup hot water and tamarind juice. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add a tsp of coconut oil and few curry leaves. Serve with rice after 10 minutes.
Loved yet another Okra curry. Thanks for sharing! Had it with rice. Even though it turned out to be a li’l spicy, I enjoyed it 🙂
By the way, I like the way you photograph & present your dishes. I was attracted to this site coz of that and it’s one of the reasons I hang around this site before I start to cook 😛
Thanks a lot for your sweet comment, Priya 🙂 Great to know that you enjoyed it!!
tried this recipe today. came out very well. had it with rice. very yummy dish too… thanks maya…:)
Tried this recipe today.. made with vegetables from my garden and had it with appam.. really great dish and too easy to make.. Thanks Maya for this great healthy recipe.. Expecting more easy vegetarian recipes from u…
How is your sweet lil ones??