Happy, Jolly, cheerful days are here. Yes, the world is caught in the Christmas and New Year fervor. Don’t we all just love the magic and joy this season bring? I do! Moreover, the last week of every year must be special for everyone: to remember the past, and to be optimistic about the coming year.
I am always excited about preparing festive spreads, particularly when family or friends are around. This Christmas, YummyOYummy proudly presents a delicious Beef Chilli Roast recipe. This is an easy peasy, must try recipe that would make your guests drool!
We have so many great Christmas recipes right here. Take your time, browse around, and find your perfect recipes! Make this Christmas grand and special!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Beef Chilli Roast Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Beef – 600 – 700 gm, cubed
2. Garlic – 8 – 10 medium –sized cloves
Ginger – 1/4 inch, chopped
Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
3. Crushed chilly flakes – 1.5 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
4. Coconut oil – 3 tbsp or as required
5. Coconut slices / thenga kothu – 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
6. Onion – 1.5 cup, thinly sliced (Use pearl onions for extra taste)
7. Crushed chilly flakes – 1/2 tbsp
8. Garam masala powder – 1 tsp (Recipe below)
Pepper powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
9. Salt – To taste
1. Crush garlic, ginger and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle or in the small jar of a mixie.
2. Combine beef pieces with the crushed garlic mixture, crushed chilly flakes, turmeric powder, vinegar and enough salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
3. Pressure-cook the marinated beef pieces adding 2 tbsp water for 3- 4 whistles or until done (cooking time depends on the type of beef used). Open the cooker after the pressure releases. If there is any excess water in the cooker, cook for a few minutes until the water is completely evaporated.
4. In a wide pan, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add coconut slices and curry leaves. Fry for a minute. Next add sliced onion, little salt and saute until onion turns light golden. Add cooked beef and 1/2 tbsp crushed chilly flakes. Cook for about 10 minutes at medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add 1 tsp garam masala powder,1/4 – 1/2 tsp pepper powder, few curry leaves and 1 tbsp coconut oil. Mix well and continue to cook for another 4 – 5 minutes until it fetches a deep brown color. Serve this delicious beef chilli roast with appam, porotta, rice etc.
Recipe for Garam Masala (Yield – Around 3 – 3.5 tbsp)
- Fennel Seeds (Perumjeerakam)- 2 tbsp
- Cloves (Grambu)- 13 – 15
- Cinnamon stick (Karuvapatta) – 2 inch
- Cardamom (Elaikka) – 3 – 4
- Star anise (Thakkolam) - 1
- Whole pepper (Kurumulaku) -15 – 20
- Poppy seeds (Kus Kus) – 1 tsp (optional)
Dry roast all the ingredients lightly in a pan at medium heat for about 1 – 2 mts. When they cool down, grind to a fine powder in a coffee grinder. Store in an airtight container. It will be flavorful even if you do not dry roast them. You need only about1 tsp garam masala powder for this recipe. Store the remaining in an air tight container.
Recipe Courtesy – Adapted from Lakshmi Nair’s Magic Oven