Today’s post is dedicated specially to bachelors and newbies to cooking. I experimented this recipe long back right after I tried the Andhra chicken roast. The pictures weren’t good enough, so i didn’t want to post it. Recently I saw a very similar recipe in a cookery channel, which pushed me into making the easy chicken curry again. So last week, I made this curry and took pictures . Unfortunately, this time also I am not very happy with the pics. The weather isn’t very supportive..it’s too cloudy here!
Anyways, I am posting this as making chicken curry will never get easier than this, and that is a promise. 🙂 Though the picture do no justice to the dish, I guarantee that you will love this. To make things easier, I have used chicken drumsticks here. Its much more convenient and perfect for a family of 2 or 3. It goes well with appam, idiyappam , chapathis or even rice. Do give this a try!
Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1. Chicken – 3/4 kg, cut into medium-small pieces (I used 6 chicken drumsticks)
Ginger – 1.5 tsp, crushed
Garlic – 1.5 tsp, crushed
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 2.5 tsp
Onion – 1.5 cups, thinly sliced
Tomato – 1 medium-small, cubed
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Cilantro – 2 – 3 sprigs, halved (optional)
Curry leaves – A few
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Thick coconut milk - 1/4 – 1/2 cup
3. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Pearl onions – 3 – 4, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
1. Combine chicken pieces with all the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes. Add 1.5 cups of water. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Cook covered in a heavy-bottomed dish for 20 – 30 minutes at medium or medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. (Or you can pressure-cook at medium heat for 1 whistle at medium heat). Switch off.
2. When the chicken pieces are done, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup thick coconut milk and cook for a few minutes at low heat. Switch off.
3. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies followed by pearl onions and curry leaves. Fry pearl onions until browned. Pour over the curry. Cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Mix everything well. The gravy will thicken a lot after some time. Serve this easy chicken curry with rice / appam/ chapathis /idiyappam etc.