Tapioca and fish Cutlets
Tapioca Fish Cutlets
Ingredients (Makes 20)
1. Tapioca – 400 – 500 gm
2. Fish – 250 – 300 gm (I used canned wild salmon. If using regular fish, clean and cut into small pieces. Cook them adding a pinch of turmeric powder, pepper powder and enough salt. Shred the fish pieces using the back of a spatula while cooking. Switch off and set aside when done. )
3. Coconut oil – 1.5 tbsp
4. Onion – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
5. Curry leaves – A few
Green chilies – 2, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
7. Salt – To taste
8. Bread crumbs – As required
9. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
1. Boil tapioca pieces in lots of water adding salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. When they are done and are easily mashable, switch off the flame. Drain the water and return to the original vessel. Mash them well using the back of a large spoon or a potato masher. Taste-check for salt. Set aside.
3. Heat 1.5 tbsp coconut oil in a pan. Saute finely chopped onion until transparent. Add chopped curry leaves, green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until onion starts to change color. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder. pepper powder and garam masala powder,if using. Mix well and cook for a few seconds. Add the shredded fish. Mix well and cook for a minute. Switch off. Add mashed tapioca and mix well. Taste-check for salt and switch off. When warm enough to handle, make a dough using your fingers.
4. Make small balls out of the tapioca mixture. Flatten the balls to desired shapes. Dip them in beaten egg and then roll in bread crumbs. Deep or shallow fry in oil until brown. Serve with tomato ketchup or onion salad.