Green Chilly and Cashew Chicken Curry
Hello everyone! It’s been quite a while since I wrote something here. I feel the days are just running off so fast! Past two weeks were hectic with kiddo’s fever and me being caught up in so many things. I so feel that whenever I take a break from blogging I find it extremely tough to get back to the routine. Wonder how everyone else do it.
The blogger in me still keeps experimenting a lot and my folder has plenty of ready to post recipes. I am pretty much sure that until all those posts are shared, i will keep on going :). The show will go ooonnn…..
So dear friends, today I have a yummy chicken curry recipe for you all. As I have mentioned before, we don’t buy chicken or meat very often. We buy it only once in a month or when we have guests over. So whenever we buy, I experiment 🙂
These days, I usually buy chicken drumsticks, peel off the skin and halve them for curries. I know it wont be as tasty as using whole chicken. But it reduces a lot of work. The recipe goes to all those who crave chicken curry, want to make it in a jiffy, and just vanish from the kitchen 😀
I have already made it twice and the curry has won compliments from everyone who tasted it. Hope you all would love it too..
Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6)
1. Chicken – 1.25 – 1.5 kg (I used 12 chicken drumsticks, halved)
2. Coconut oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
3. Whole spices – Cloves – 6, cardamom – 3, cinnamon stick – 1 inch, bay leaves – 2,
4. Onion – 1.5 large, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
5. Ginger -1 inch, Garlic – 6 cloves, Green chilies – 5 – 7 and cashews – 10 – 12, coarsely ground in the small jar of a mixie
6. Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp, crushed
Whole pepper corns – 1/2tsp, crushed
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
8. Thin coconut milk – 2.5 cups (You can use hot water instead)
Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup or as required to taste
9. Salt – To taste
10. Coconut oil – 2 tsp
11. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Pearl onions – 3 – 4, thinly sliced
Cashew halves – 8 – 10
Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pan at medium heat. Add whole spices numbered 3 and stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Next add finely chopped onion, little salt and curry leaves. Saute until onion turns soft. Add ground ginger-garlic-green chili and cashew mixture. Saute until onion starts to change color, about 8 – 10 minutes.
2. Add chicken pieces, enough salt and mix well. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes, stirring in between. Add thin coconut milk and mix well. Cover and cook for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is done.
3. Add thick coconut milk and few curry leaves. Mix well and taste-check for salt. Cook for a minute at low heat. Switch off.
4. Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry pearl onions until golden. Add cashews, curry leaves and stir until golden. Pour this over the cooked chicken curry. Serve after 15 minutes. This goes well with appam, idiyappam, porotta and chapathis.