Hello friends… As you might have noticed, this blog has been dormant for the past few days..We had been on a vacation to Cancun, Mexico for a short trip and got back today morning. We had a totally relaxing vacation and we had the pleasure of tasting some amazing dishes during our trip. I will be trying to recreate some of those in the coming days and if they turn out good I will be sure to post the recipes here.
1. Chicken – 750 g, cut into medium-small pieces
2. Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
3. Whole spices (Cloves – 4, cardamom – 2 – 3, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch)
4. Onion – 1 large (About 2.5 cups, finely chopped)
5. Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
Green chilly – 1, slit
Curry leaves – A few
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 2 tsp or to taste
7. Thin coconut milk – 1.5 cups
8. Thick coconut milk – 3 tbsp or as required to taste
9. Salt – To taste
10. Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – A few
1. Heat coconut oil in a deep pan at medium heat. Add whole spices and stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Next add finely chopped onion and saute until soft, 2 – 3 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilly and curry leaves. Saute until onion turns golden and oil separates. Bring down the heat to low. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder and pepper powder. Stir for 10 – 15 seconds until their raw smell is gone. Next add chicken pieces, enough salt and mix well. Cook for 3 – 4minutes at medium heat, stirring in between. Add thin coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook covered for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the gravy is very thick, add hot water in between. When the curry is done, add thick coconut milk. Taste-check for salt. Cook for a minute at low heat and switch off. This curry tends to thicken over time so adjust the consistency of the curry accordingly.
2. Heat coconut oil in small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry few curry leaves. Pour over the curry. Keep covered for 10 minutes. Delicious chicken curry is now ready to be served! Enjoy with appam, idiyappam, pulav, rice etc. We had it with kallappam!
Recipe Courtesy – My friend Vini’s mom