This is my mom’s recipe for the yummy chicken ularthiyathu. Coconut milk adds a very nice flavor to this dish. Do give this a try, I’m sure you will enjoy it!
Ingredients`(Serves 3 – 4)
1. Chicken, bone-in – 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic, crushed – 1.5 tsp
Salt – As required
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
3. Coconut oil – 1.5 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Crushed chilly flakes – 1/2 tsp
Thenga kothu/ coconut flakes – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
5. Onion – 1.5 cup, chopped
Crushed ginger-garlic – 2 tsp
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
8. Coconut milk, medium-thick – 1/2 cup
9. Salt – To taste
1. Marinate chicken pieces with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to a cheena chatti / heavy-bottomed pan and cook covered until done, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in a cheena chatti / a heavy-bottomed pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry crushed red chilies, coconut flakes and curry leaves. Next add chopped onion, crushed ginger-garlic and little salt. Cook until onion starts to change color. Bring down the heat to low. Add turmeric powder,chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Cook for a few seconds at low heat. Add cooked chicken pieces and medium-thick coconut milk . Mix well. Cover and cook for 5 – 6 minutes at medium heat until the chicken gets coated with the masala, the dish changes to a brown color and oil starts separating (the coconut milk should get cooked and release coconut oil). Switch off. Serve with rice / chapathis.