Chicken Tomato Roast
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Chicken, bone-in – 1.25 kg, cut into medium pieces
2. Onion – 2 cups, thinly sliced
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp, heaped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2.5 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Water – 1 cup
3. Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
4. Onion – 2 cups, thinly sliced
5. Tomato – 3 firm seeds and pulp removed and cubed
6. Tomato ketchup – 1 tbsp
7. Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Coarse-ground pepper powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp or to taste
8. Salt – To taste
9. Cilantro / coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, to garnish
1. Combine chicken pieces with the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add 1 cup water and cook covered until done about 20 – 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times in between.
2. Heat 2 – 3 tbsp coconut oil. Add thinly sliced onion, salt and fry until browned. In the remaining oil add the tomato cubes, sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt and fry for about 30 seconds on each side until just soft. Remove to a paper towel.
3. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in the same pan. Using a slotted spoon, take out the chicken pieces from the gravy and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a bowl.
4. Transfer the fried onion back to the pan. Add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup and mix well. Strain and add the chicken gravy. Mix well. Taste check for salt. Bring it to a boil and add the fried chicken pieces. Mix well.
5. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato cubes and mix gently. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Switch off. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1/4 tsp coarse ground pepper powder and mix gently. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with chapathis or pulao.
Recipe Courtesy – Adapted from here