Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Chicken thighs – 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
2. Coconut oil – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
3. Onion – 1.5 – 2 cup, thinly sliced and halved
Ginger – 1.5 tbsp,chopped
Garlic – 6 – 8 large, chopped
Curry leaves – A few
4. Crushed red chilies – 3/4 tsp
Freshly crushed pepper corns – 1/2 tsp or to taste
5. Fennel seeds (roasted) – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp, crushed
6. Salt – To taste
1. Marinate chicken pieces with the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan at medium-high or high heat. Add chicken pieces in 1 or 2 batches and fry until browned (takes about 6 – 10 minutes, do not fry for a very long time otherwise they will turn hard). Transfer to a bowl.
3. In the remaining oil, add onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and a pinch of salt. Saute until onion turns golden. Add crushed chilly flakes and pepper powder. Saute for a minute and add fried chicken pieces. Cook for a few minutes at medium-low heat stirring in between. Just before switching off, add crushed fennel seeds and cook for 30 seconds (if you are using unroasted fennel seeds, stir for a minute or so). Switch off. Serve immediately. You can have it as an appetizer or along with rice and other side-dishes. Its super-yummy, do give this a try…happy cooking!!
Recipe Courtesy – My friend Anu Cijo’s mom