Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Vazhakka / banana saba – 2 medium, peeled and sliced lengthwise
Green chilies – 3, slit
Curry leaves – A few
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Shallots – 2 small, slightly crushed (optional)
Salt – To taste
Water – Around 1.5 cup or as required
2. Kudam puli / gamboge – 1 – 2 (depending on its sourness), soaked in enough water and torn, if large
3. Grated coconut – 1.5 cup heaped
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
4. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
5. Salt – To taste
1. Grind the grated coconut and cumin seeds to a paste (not very fine).
2. In a vessel add all the ingredients numbered 1. Water should be in the same level as that of the banana saba. Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes over medium heat until done. Bring down the heat to low. Add the grated coconut mixture. Add salt, to taste. Cook covered for a few minutes. It should have a medium thick consistency. Switch off. Add a tbsp of coconut oil, a few curry leaves and switch off. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.