1. Chow chow / chayote squash – 1, peeled and chopped
2. Green chilies – 2, chopped
Curry leaves – A few
3. Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch (optional)
Garlic or shallots – 1 – 2 small
Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
4. Salt – To taste
5. Coconut oil / vegetable oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
1. Crush the garlic and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle. Combine grated coconut with turmeric powder, crushed garlic and cumin seeds.
2. Heat oil in a kadai / cheena chatti over medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dried red chilies. Add chopped chow chow, green chilies, curry leaves, salt and grated coconut mixture. Mix well. Sprinkle 2 – 3 tbsp water. Mix and bring everything to the center. Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring once in between, until chow chow is done. Serve with rice and other side-dishes.
In pic – Kerala rosematta rice with chow chow thoran, netholi fry, netholi peera and raw banana fry