Making your own chocolate is so easy and quick..it requires only 4 main ingredients and a few easy steps . I have been experimenting with homemade chocolate since the last few days and have made several batches (few of which were curdled n ruined because of overcooking, excess milk powder, over stirring etc).These chocolates are not tempered so do not expect them to turn out smooth, velvety and glossy like the store bought ones but they are still super delicious..and do not have any additives, the amount of sugar that goes into it can be controlled and we can create so many flavors, the options are endless.
Most of the recipes online calls for coconut oil or butter to make homemade chocolates. But I highly recommend making them with cacao butter, it makes a big difference in taste and texture.
Ingredients for Milk Chocolate (Makes 15 pieces)
- Cacao butter – 1/3 cup, cut into small pieces or grated
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2.5 tbsp (I used Hershey’s cocoa powder)
- Milk powder (I used Nido) – 1 tbsp
- Confectioner’s sugar or powdered sugar – 2 tbsp
- Maple syrup – 1 tbsp (If you don’t have maple syrup, replace with confectioner’s sugar. And if you want, you can avoid confectioner’s sugar and use maple syrup only. I like to use both for better texture.)
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
1. Add 2 – 3 inches of water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Then set a nonstick saucepan/medium glass, stainless steel or ceramic mixing bowl on top, making sure it’s not touching the water (“double boiler” method). Bring down the heat to medium.
2. To the mixing bowl, add cacao butter and let it melt, takes about 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Remove it from heat. Sift and add cocoa powder, milk powder and icing / powdered sugar (you can sift them beforehand). Add maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract. Stir for 30 seconds or till smooth (do not over stir, its ok if it is a little grainy). Pour carefully into silicone chocolate moulds or into mini cupcake liners. Keep in the refrigerator to set for 30 – 45 minutes (or in the freezer for 20 minutes). Gently remove from mould and enjoy!! Store in fridge or at room temperature (I refrigerated them).
For white chocolate
Cacao butter – 1/3 cup
Icing sugar / confectioner/s sugar or powdered sugar – 3 tbsp
Milk powder – 3 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – A tiny pinch (optional)
1. Melt the cacao butter in a double boiler as explained above. Stir until smooth, takes about 2 – 3 minutes.
2. Remove it from heat. Add icing sugar, milk powder, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Stir for 30 seconds (it may be a bit lumpy or grainy as 3 tbsp milk powder is added. Stir till just combined, do not over stir). Pour into silicone chocolate moulds. Keep in the refrigerator for 30 – 45 minutes (or in the freezer for 20 minutes). Gently remove from mould and enjoy!!